Saturday, May 31, 2014

Weekend plans

Today has awakened beautifully :)


Temperatures are in the low 70s today; mid 70s on Saturday and 80s on Sunday. Monday is calling for rain. So now is the perfect time to get some yard work done and caught up.

I managed to get the vegetable garden planted this week. Several weeks ago I started weeding my front garden. I got it mostly done and am just now getting back to it. The vegetable garden took priority and since Honey Do tilled last weekend, it would have been inconsiderate not to finish the project.

I was in the flowerbed even before Newton left for school this morning. I got a really good headstart. By noon, I had all the weeds and unwanted plants - they will be relocated to another part of the yard, I have plans for them :) - and the soil turned. It's been a number of years since this garden has gotten this kind of attention, but now that it has I'm so excited by the results. All I had left to do was mulch.  I purposely didn't take a "before" picture but here's the end result:


Since I didn't take a before picture, I can tell you that everything you see mulched was weeds and unwanted plants. Eventually the large white and solid green hostas will be moved, but I'm thinking about doing that in the fall.

So the rest of my weekend plans . . . 


I managed to make enough "yarn" for my rag rug. It's getting very close to being finished.

I have some added responsibilites at this time of the year with Vacation Bible School.  I'm doing my best to delegate as much as I can so that I'm not so overwhelmed by all that needs to be done. I'm also spreading my share out over the week and doing a little bit every day.


First up, little felt fish that are being sewn together. Volunteers are cutting them out and I'm sewing them together. The children will fill them with rice and tie the tails with ribbon.

Next up, I'm cutting out treasure chests and watching a movie. Again, it will be done over the next week so I can still get other things done.


The small "chests" will contain copies of the verses referenced throughout the week.


In between projects and chores is always laundry. I try really hard to live simply, to be resourceful, conscientious and frugal. I love spring and summer because it allows me to hang most of my launrdry outside to dry. In this day and age of modern conveniences, many people would tell me that I'm really not making that much difference, and I would not have a good argument against them. But I do like the act of simply hanging things on the line. It brings to mind many childhood memories of wringer washers, line drying and spending that time with mom, aunts and my "Oma" doing the same. And that counts for more than I could ever express.

It's also a good excuse to go outside and be outside. We need the fresh air, the sunshine and the pups need a good run so they can take a good nap :)


Yeah, that's Nina - she's getting really big !!!

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a creative day.




No comments: