Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Winds of Change . . .

(image from Yahoo)

Are a blowin'

Newton finishes his junior year of high school this year . . . 

He turns 18 over the summer . . . 

And with any luck will be joining the throngs of the employed.

(Summer, 2018)


As for me, Honey Do and I made the difficult decision to stop planting a vegetable garden. It is no longer cost effective for us. And to that that i really don't have the desire to be outside on hot and humid days pulling weeds. 

(Spring, 2019)

Honey Do was going to help kick start the planting, but the weeds and grass have just taken over. Between the extremely wet and cold spring and the few hot days sprinkled in, I couldn't get a handled on it, let alone get ahead. When he had to mow before he could start tilling, he said we are done. He has enlisted Newton to help de-construct the garden and it will become yard again. 


In the meantime, I'll use up as many of the spring onions that self seeded and that I can.

As for me, I appreciate the help making that decision because I honestly couldn't decide. I'll have to work my way through the guilt I feel for letting my family down. Now hold on, before you all try to come to my defense, I know I'm really not. This decision has lots of aspects besides me not keeping up.

Financial is the biggest one. Plants and seeds are expensive. There is no guarantee they will grow or produce. There are several farmers markets around us and I even found a new one I want to check out.

Time and energy are the biggest reasons though. There are other things I would rather be doing, like sewing, embroidery, quilting and charitable sewing/quilting. I also want and need to make more time to spend with Mom.

So we will be spending this Memorial Day weekend doing much the same things most families do . . . spend time together, remembering the sacrifice of those who came before us, including Honey Do and his own father, who are both veterans of the Army, and being extremely grateful for the freedoms we take so much for granted.



Our country and our world are in immense turmoil. So much evil is all around us. Avoiding watching the news reports doesn't make it go away, but it's so hard to watch.  Pray with me, as one nation, that our Heavenly Father intervene on behalf of all the oppressed, but especially those who have little to no voice in this world for protect themselves.

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a day filled with the things that make and keep you happy.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Prov. 9:10 NIVUK






1 comment:

Susan said...

Yes, that is my prayer, and a good one, Edi. I had plants in pots for a few years after I stopped the garden, always feeling a little guilty, but after last year's tomato disaster where 8 plants grew prolifically, and produced a half dozen grape tomatoes, I'm just finished. LOL You will use the extra time wisely for helping others, I know, and the money saved will be helpful, too.