Sunday, January 27, 2019

what do I want to be different this year?

For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’
Galatians 5:14 NIVUK


Happy Sunday
As we alternate between snow flakes and sunshine. I hope you are having a blessed day !!


There is always a traditional push at the beginning of the new year to make "resolutions". I have found they are typically something about yourself you don't like and want to improve.
 . . . lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier, etc. 
I've done all of those and more and by the second week of January they have fallen by the wayside.

As the years have gone by, as I've become more grounded in my faith, I feel there is more that I can do. I don't just want to resolve to make superficial and cosmetic changes in my life. I want my life to have more meaning and to make a difference. This burden has been on my heart for a while.

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:2 NIVUK

What do I want to be different this year?

This question came up in the devotional I read on January 1. And again in a four part series of sermons on creating habits that make us more Christ-like. Today's lesson was on stewardship, specifically time management and using your talents and spiritual gifts. Let me confess, if the Lord called me home today, I would have much to answer to. I don't manage my time well - thank you social media, computer games, television - and I probably don't use my spiritual gifts as often or as well as I should either.

So what do I do about it? Part of time management is planning and prioritizing. Always attempting, just need to get more serious about it - especially when it comes to that social media devil. And let's not forget that I am notorious for over committing myself.

The talents and spiritual gifts are a little easier - to a point.  What I've decided is to use my gift of sewing and turn that into a service project. No real surprise there as quilters and sewists are doing this all the time. I'm jumping on those band wagons. After all how many quilts does one person really need. That doesn't mean I won't finish the ones for myself that I've started, because I have every intention to do just that. I've even limited the number of new quilts so I can focus on my UFOs. 

What this means is the stash of fabric in my basement can be used, the mountain of scraps collecting and growing can be used. Finances that I would have used for more fabric can be used to purchase battings and backings. Time wasted on computer games can be used to hand stitch binding on finished quilts.

That was easy !!!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds,
Hebrews 10:24 NIVUK


Now, who to share the bounty of God's blessings with? There are any number of worthy charities. I have found/received suggestions for several that I'm going to participate in.  Here's my list so far:

Project Linus - This one is for baby quilts. They can be knit, crochet, quilted, or fleece. I'm jumping on this band wagon. I'd like my goal to be at least one per month. There are patterns and resources on their web page. Just follow the link.

A Doll Like Me  You are linked to find out more about this organization and what they do, but let me just tell you it's incredible and Amy is a hero in my eyes. She makes these amazing dolls that have the same physical differences as the children who receive them. How cool is that !!! What we are being asked to do is make tiny hospital gowns and doll size quilts so the children can dress their dolls so they are having the same hospital experiences the children. The gowns only use a fat quarter and some bias binding. Easy enough. I'm jumping on this band wagon as well. You can also follow Amy

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labour: if either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no-one to help them up.
Eccles. 4:9-10 NIVUK

Here are some others you might be interested in as well. I'm going to keep a running list that I can add to:

From My Carolina Home  Quilts are being collected for victims of last year's double-whammy hurricanes.

American Hero and Quilts of Valor This is an on going, never ending need for quilts for military veterans and their families.

These are off the top of my head, as I come across more, I will up date the list. Please don't forget any specific needs to your local community. I have a couple I want to check out through my Bible Study hostess church. And likewise, if you know of one I can add, please don't hesitate to share that information and I'll get it posted.

Thank you for stopping by,

Wishing you a day filled with things that make and keep you happy.


Let us become weary in doing good.
Galatians 6:9










2 comments:

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Great post Edi, and very much like the thoughts that have been going around in my head this month.... I love that you are going to purposefully give more to others.. I would like to do that too, and time management... a big priority for me this year! thanks for sharing xx

Susan said...

This is great! You already have a couple of my favorites, but H2H this year has added another one I like, Jack's Baskets. I have seen Amy's site and the dolls, and I think that's amazingly therapeutic for children. We all want to know we aren't alone, and having toys and books and other things that don't separate us from others is a great start on feeling confident. Good post, good "resolutions" ... or is that re- solutions. =)