Tuesday, February 25, 2014

It's a good day for soup

The Arctic freeze is back on the horizon. Monday night was so cold. I'm so glad I made all those crocheted, scrap afghans. They are keeping me warm.



Today was BFF and my bi-weekly breakfast out. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. We got snow over-night and I wasn't willing to chance the 40 miles trip. So instead, and because it's so cold, I decided it was a good day for soup and crusty bread.


I found this Pasta e Fagioli on Pinterst.

Here's what you need:

 2 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
3 chopped carrots
4 chopped celery
 2 (28 oz) undrained cans diced tomatoes
 1 (16 oz) drained can red kidney beans
1 (16 oz) drained can white kidney beans
 3 (10 oz) cans beef stock
 3 t oregano
 2 t pepper
 5 t parsley
 1 t Tabasco sauce (optional)
 1 (20 oz) jar spaghetti sauce
 8 oz pasta
 Brown beef. Add to crock pot w/everything except pasta. Cook LOW 7-8 hours or HIGH 4-5 hours. During last 30 min on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta.

This is a very forgiving recipe. My package of ground beef was about 2.25 pounds - so I used it all.
I used white northern and black beans - just to change it up a bit.
I used a quart box of stock, instead of 3 cans. So it was just a smidge more and my jar of spaghetti sauce was 24 ounces.
The extra liquid in the stock and sauce easily accommodated the extra can of beans. I adjusted the seasonings a bit too and I add a little salt.

Filling,satisfying and easy to make. There was enough left over for dinner tomorrow :)

Since I was home today, I kept myself very busy. And I'm super happy about all that I accomplished:

3 loads of laundry
clean sheets on the bed
dishes
made the soup
swept floors
and did some sewing on the machine - some Christmas sewing. I don't have my one gift done this month - yet. It's fun and cute and I can't wait to show you. But it's not finished yet. Maybe, tomorrow

I'm practicing my 30 minutes of sewing for the 30/30 Challenge. Are you ready? You can get all the details here.


I also had the time to read.


This is an amazing book. It's not very big, or very long (only 72 pages), but it gives you a different perspective on the birth and life of Christ. It's fiction, but Mr. Jenkins did a phenomenal job telling the story. I purchased it for BFF for Christmas next year.

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a creative week.











No comments: