Wednesday, July 31, 2019

July's Finally Week

It's the last week of July and it has been a very busy, productive month !!

It's been hot and humid and finally today, I could turn off the air conditioner for a few days. The sun is shining and it is a gorgeous day.



My main priority most days has been getting the gardens and yard cleaned up. I relinquished the responsibility when Newton got old enough to use the lawn mower. Unfortunately, he's not as detail oriented and the entire yard has suffered. But I'm slowly taking it back. Not too quickly, he still needs to help out as a family member.


The front gardens are officially done. I still need to get mulch, not soon enough. I've been keeping all the others clean in the meantime. 

 


The gardens are showing their appreciation to the attention :)


The only garden I planted this year was an herb garden and it's doing fantastic :)

And because everything is doing so well, I'm encouraged to keep going and doing more. I haven't felt this good about my gardens and yard in years. The cooler temperatures should also allow me to transplant some more of those seedlings from last week.

Since July was so productive, most of my to do list was done. This has allowed me to start, and finish, some new projects.


I talked to my youngest niece a couple of weeks ago. During the conversation, we got around to quilts. It has been a very long time since they got new ones, so I made a flannel quilt for my 13 year old great nephew, using leftover flannels from pajamas I've made over the years. I was particular to make sure I chose designs that were age appropriate. I used larger pieces of the blocks to patchwork the backing using up more scraps.


Once the patchwork top was finished, I started on little brother's quilt. He's getting a "big boy" room and the only quilt he has is the one I made for his birth - five years ago. He loves dinosaurs and bright colors. I used three different pale greens for the backgrounds and leftover blocks for the checkerboards at the top and bottom to make the quilt a little longer. More for a twin size bed.

I was able to use one queen size batt for both quilts, which I had on hand. 


I had this bright stripe set aside with the bright solids/tonals. I think it was supposed to be another quilt that never got made. There is still enough of the solids/tonals to maybe make another smaller patchwork. I'll have to see. For now my focus is on quilting the dinosaurs and getting that quilt finished.

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a day filled with the things that make and keep you happy.


Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation.’

Isaiah 12:2 NIVUK







3 comments:

Susan said...

That's the background for the dinosaur quilt, or for both of the boys' quilts? It's a great fabric for either of them.

K Reeves said...

So many checks off your lists this month--wow!!

Amy C said...

Thhis is great