Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday ponderings

(Yahoo image)


I spent my morning at the Baptist church I spent my teen and young adult years. The morning went better than I thought it would. It was a memorial service for all the members that had passed away last year. My best friend's mom was that first member to be lost last January. Mom has been sorely missed and I think of her often. I learned things about her that I didn't know, and quite honestly, never even thought about.

Her favorite verse:  Deuteronomy 32:4

He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
    and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
    upright and just is he.

Her favorite hymn, many of her accomplishments, her hobbies, how much she loved and encouraged not just her children and grandchildren, but those of us that got to claim a spot as part of the extended family. I still hold that position today, even after her passing. I get invitations to be part of family celebrations and gatherings all the time. It's open ended, I can just show up.

It's a 40 minute drive to and from, so my company in the car is always an audio book. I managed to finish another one today. I spend too much time in my car !!!

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

She has several books. All fiction, somewhat fantasical but not really magic. The stories move along quickly. I've listened or read (they are not all available on audio at my library) since December. I've enjoyed them all.

Another book I'm readying and author I really like is Heaven Sent Rain by Laurraine Snelling. She knows how to weave a story and keep you on the edge of your seat.

Hand work . . .


The corner applique and stitching work was finished Saturday. I pin-basted after I located a backing. I found a linen blend remnant in my stash and I used leftover batting from Bethlehem.




I'm hand-quilting the piece - not sure if you can tell from this picture. Isn't the brocade beautiful?
My first row of quilt went around the perimeter of the black/trim. I'll continue on the brocade, following the design in it, but not in every detail. I hope it works out.


My niece sent me this picture. The flannel letters I made for great #10 are going up in his room. It's getting a face-list since he's out-grown his crib and moving up to a big-boy bed :)


Just too cute !!!

Well, I've put off the hand-quilting long enough. I'm off to see how much I can get done.

Thanks for stopping by.




2 comments:

Allie-oops Designs said...

I have GOT to get my library card renewed. I've missed too many new books from favorite authors. Your wool piece is looking fantastic!!!!! And oh my boys would have loved that Thomas bed....remember when Ringo Star was the narrator for Thomas? My oldest developed a pronounced Cockney accent from watching. It was too funny.

Anonymous said...

I really do like the wool piece. I'm glad you left the trim! What a lot you've been up to. Memorials like that are good - they help move the grieving along, at a time when the worst is past and you can really think about the person and appreciate them for more than the feeling of loss. What a cute train bed, and the letters are just perfect!