Thursday, September 18, 2014

Prep Work


Since I met my goal of finishing the fourth row of the Tilda quilt, I decided to do some preparation work on the next project in line.  I actually have two.

 

First up, is the Gardener's Quilt Swap. The first blocks are of various sewing machines. I've cut out all the piecees for the first block and if will have priority this week. Since we are half way through the month, I really need to get busy. I stopped at the preparation and labeling because I was starting to feel overwhelmed by the idea of construction. So I thought it best to step back and take a very deep breath. My plan is to start it on Monday.

* * * * *

Next up, I spent time preparing a couple of the Quilt Doodle Doodle Mystery blocks. I really need to get this one caught up because the last section will be published in October. As you can see from the header, I'm still back in April. So I really haven't devoted the time to this project that I should have. But my goal is to still get the top completed before the end of the year.

 

* * * * *

So, Saturday, I was all excited about having Row 4 of Tilda on and finished.


But the more I looked at it the less I liked it. What was bothering me were the top two rows. I know, I'm probably being ridiculous, but it bugged me. On the right side, the two long, thin, red blocks (hearts, topiary) are both in shades of red, same basic size. It bugged me. It's out of balance :(

So . . . 

I took all the rows apart . . . 



and rearranged them until I got them the way I wanted them.

I also have Row 5 prepped :)

* * * * *

Do you have favorite sewing and quilting tools?  I have had a clear, 12 inch ruler I love. Somehow, it ended up on the floor and got broken :(



I'm keeping the pieces because you never know when you need a short, straight edge to draw a line. But I've gone and replaced my ruler. I'm happy again :)

* * * * * 

Monday afternoon, Honey Do's dad and I went out and did some yard work. Mind you, I'm used to doing all these things by myself and as much as I appreciate the help, sometimes you just want to do stuff by yourself. I gave in and let him mow while I picked up odds and ends that need to be put away.

 

This bee was doing what bees do best, but I have to tell you he was moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y!! We've had another cold front come through and even though it's only the middle of September, it's chilly for us and what we've become accustomed to.

The Wooly Bear has a nice big orange middle. Honey Do says that's not a good thing for us. It's already feeling very autumnal and there's the sense in the air that we need to start preparing for winter. It's really hard to reign that feeling in. Part of me knows instinctively that there are still warm days ahead. I've lived long enough and with farm-minded people to be able to detect those things. So I don't know if my internal clock is just saying this is what I want because I love autumn and the changes of seasons or if there really needs to be time to start planning and preparing for winter.

And then I found this teeny precious rosebud !!!


It is the smallest bud I have ever seen. oh, my hands look old . . .
Must be from all the gardening, stitching, sewing and cooking :)

* * * * *

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a creative day.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mini roses are so precious. I like the Tilda better - the two skinny strips on top of each other bothered me a little. This is much better. Either way, it would still be a great quilt, though! The cutting was the worst part of the sewing machine block, I thought. Once you get through that, the piecing isn't so bad. I pieced the little fiddly parts one day and then the background, and I might do the applique today! You're doing great. Remember that you can do your own blocks any way you want - and I'm doing machine applique!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

LOVE your Tilda quilt, Edi!
You won't believe this, but that quilt has been on my to-do list for four years...of all the Tilda books I have, it is that book and quilt which means the most. You've inspired me. xx