Friday, January 8, 2016

Getting a late start

I spent my morning grocery shopping and running errands and fulfilling a commitment at church.
I spent about an hour putting groceries away, breaking down larger packages of meat into smaller portions, emptying boxes, etc.
Dinner, dishes, a run to the library for movies for Newton.
Once all that is said and done - it's almost 6 p.m.
My goal today was to start working on the patriotic row for DOD Mystery. It's hard to believe we are on the seventh and final row . . . unless you are inclined to make it bigger and then you can just keep going :)

 


So I've begun. I will finish the row on Saturday - pending all the interruptions while the boys are home for the weekend.

I got some fun mail today :)


I found this adorable sewing basket on ebay.
My winning bid was only $14. I've spent a fair amount of my evening emptying the contents to see what I got . . .



The basket looks pretty well worn on the inside. The outside is in really good shape. No damage or missing parts.
First to greet me were the metal Boyer crochet hook and what I think is a "button hook" that would have been used to button shoes.




Anyone that knows me, knows I love wooden thread spools. I hit the jackpot here. Some are just all purpose sewing threads. But . . .

 

some really caught my attention.
On the left, button hot twist from Rice. I've never heard of it or used it. Very cool
On the right, silk machine thread !!!
I did a little research (just skimmed the article I found) on Gudebrod Bros. Champion Silk. What I read said it was used to tie flies for fly fishing !!!
The company dates back to the 1800s. There were seven brothers and the immigrated from Germany. Appears to be the last silk thread manufacturer in the United States. I'll do more research, just because I'm nosey :)

Needless to say, a very productive, good day.

Thanks for stopping by.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun mail! That is a great basket just as a basket, but all those lovely wooden spools are terrific treasure. I hope you got to work on your row today.