One Monthly Goal for January
My notes, which I'm not very good at keeping for my projects, tell me that I began this project in 2016. I remember the start very clearly, not so much the dates.
I had been out with a friend and we went to Hobby Lobby. As was our bent, we always shopped the clearance because you never know what you might find.
This sweet little embroidery, pre-printed, six blocks to a package was on the clearance wall. I want to remember the price being less than $10, even less than $5, but I couldn't swear to that. There were three packages, we each took one.
When I got home, I pulled out the pattern for these scrappy hearts. I found it on Pinterest. The wheels started turning.
The next day, I went back to Hobby Lobby and got the other package. I wanted a queen size quilt and wanted to make sure I had enough blocks to make it the right size. If I didn't need them, I didn't really lose much. I was excited and called the friend and let her know that I would be sharing half of the third package with her.
The friend finished her's last year about this time last year. She didn't make the hearts, but she did make her's using scrappy strips.
I added sashing and continued the scrappiness in the final border making strip combinations and cutting them to length.
I used the first six of the kissing sheep blocks and six of the scrappy hearts. I LOVE the way my quilt turned out. I have spent the month, every spare moment I could use to quilt it. As I am learning to quilt on my machine, I'm getting more detailed and adventuresome. In my opinion it just adds so much to the quilt than just straight stitching.
I used the black polka dot/heart print for the backing and binding. And since I didn't have enough, I pieced it with the red scroll print and one of the red tonals.
I ended up not needing the extra three for the quilt.
That doesn't mean they went to waste . . .
First, I made a couple of pillow cases to match the quilt.
I had one more block and plenty of the strips left.
Doesn't it make an adorable baby quilt? I added applique hearts where I used them to quilting lines on the quilt and I cut them off for the pillow cases. I added nine patches to make up addition rows to bring the baby quilt up to a 36 inch square.
And there were still more strips left !!!
Enough to make three doll quilts.
I made a fourth doll quilt from scraps.
The scraps came from this baby quilt.
They both still need sandwiched and quilted. I need batting and hope to have them done yet this month.
I finally finished the rest of the stitcheries I was working on in December. They will go into my "gift" box to use when I need something small.
January has been very good to me !!
Thanks for stopping by.
My command is this: love each other as I have loved you.
John 15:12 NIVUK