Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Boys' Quilts

After finishing my last baby quilt, I was free to begin a couple of new projects. I talked to my youngest niece recently. She is in the process of "de-hoarding", as she calls it. Her youngest, age 4 or 5 (I can't remember) is getting a "big boy" room. Big brother turned 13 in June.

I had intended, at some point, to make quilts for all the greats. My oldest niece is in the process of setting up a new household, so I pulled a bunch of my quilts out and gave them to her. 

I have LOTS of flannel scraps from all those pj pants over these many years. I had some already cut into squares from 2.5 to 7 inches.


I set up my stacks and started sewing rows. Two days later, I have a full size quilt top for the 13 year old.


The blocks I pulled and made for this one, I made sure they were a little older and not too juvenile. Next up, piece the back, sandwich and quilt. Although I haven't decided if I'm going to machine quilt or tie it.

That brings me back to little brother, who LOVES dinosaurs!! Fat Cat Patterns has an adorable pattern. The same company that designed that little car pattern I used for the baby quilt.

Beyond dinosaurs, little brother loves bright colors. How happy am I? ! ! 
I had already purchased bright solids/tonals to go with a bright stripe. I never did anything when I made the original purchases. Another box of fabric leaving the basement :)

I spent Saturday drawing off bodies, legs, eyes and heads in various flannels and scraps. I chose three different soft greens for the backgrounds and stabilizer. I decided on machine applique, it will hold up against the rough and tumble of a little boy.



I spent Monday ding the applique between my usual Monday chores. By the time Honey Do got home from work, the top was assembled and sashed.

The top was 46 inches square. It was plenty wide enough, but needed to be longer. It also can't be too big for a little boy. I decided to stay fairly simple in the design. Adding a couple of rows of leftover blocks in a staggered pattern for a checkerboard effect.

I had already decided on a forest green border and binding, keeping it narrow so the quilt doesn't get too big. Three inches, finishing at two and half, made it perfect.


All that's left to do is sandwich, quilt and bind. I'll just do simple machine quilting and shadow quilt the dinosaurs.

That's what's planned for Thursday and Friday.

Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a day filled with the things the make and keep you happy.


For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7 NIVUK




4 comments:

Karrin Hurd said...

What a cute quilt! Great work!

K Reeves said...

Love this, Edi!

Allie said...

Wow girl look at you - can you send me some of your energy, lol? I love them both!!!!

Susan said...

You know already that I love the dinosaur quilt! The one for the older boy looks just perfect. It will be warm, and cozy feeling, but it will not be an embarrassment if his friends come over. =) It's also nice and bright. You had a productive week, between quilts and gardens!