Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Inspiration

I typically start my day catching up on emails, Newton listens to a book, while we wait for the school bus.  This morning's Bloglovin' email had a post from SewCalGal with an invitation to help celebrate Eleanor Burns and the Quilt In A Day team celebrate their 35th anniversary.  I get my inspiration from many sources these days, but back when I "started" quilting one of those sources was Eleanor Burns.  My BFF talked me into joining her and her mom for a day at the local quilt shop making a quilt in a day quilt top called Trip Around the World.  If you've never made one, you can still find the books on Amazon for the instructions.  They are a fun, easy, quick quilt.  That was over 20 years ago.  They are very functional, pretty, utilitarian quilts.  And the inspiration for the more decorative quilts we make these days.  Sometimes, it's good to get back to basics and make something this simple.

* / * / * / * / * / * / * / * /* / * / * / *  


This is what my mantel looked like about a month ago . . . 


This is what it looks like today :)  I'm getting ready for the holidays. Not just Halloween.


The "Frankenstein" was a project Newton and I did at a local do-it-yourself store that offers free craft classes each month for the kiddos.  It was a way for us to do something together that wasn't too girly. He's too old now.  But it was fun in the day.

Decorating for Halloween was something I started when he was younger also.  We go to church almost every Sunday and I didn't want him to get the idea that we don't believe in God or follow the teachings of the Bible, but we still wanted to have some fun.

I put up some seasonal towels (that no one is permitted to use), but other than this, we keep Halloween pretty low key.

Mostly, I'm just thrilled with being able to be in the house for a few days together to do some much neglected cleaning.


* / * / * / * / * / * / * / * /* / * / * / * 

Back to working on Beauty.

Thanks for stopping by.


Wishing you a creative day.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun mantle display! Much better than the first picture, though the first one looks more like my house. LOL