Sunday, August 4, 2013

Busy Sunday

(downloaded from Pinterest)

I love Sunday mornings.  I spend them at church with the third and fourth graders for Sunday School. We'll get a new set of third graders at the end of August and our current fourth graders will move on to their fifth grade class.  So by this time of year, the fourth graders have been with us for two years (third and fourth grade).  They are much more comfortable with us and much more willing to share.  The third graders are quiet and keep to themselves and each other.

I spent the early moments discussing camp with "Lora".  I heard all about archery and fishing and nature crafts.  Lora's dad is the head of the department.  Why is Lora so important?  Even as recently as a few months ago Lora didn't really talk to me.  What's different?

Me, quite honestly.  In the last couple of years, I have been determined to learn each and every child's name.  That doesn't sound like all that big of a deal, but when you take into consideration that you usually only see these children  once a week and there are 30 plus, it becomes a little more challenging.  So now instead of letting them sign in on the attendance sheets, I do it with them.  That's my first step in learning their names.  With that comes face recognition.  There is usually a worksheet/puzzle for them to work on before we actually get the class started.  While the other teachers are discussing lesson plans/games/activities, I sit at the table with the children and work on the worksheets, and talk to them.  How was their week?  What's going on in school?  What have they done over the summer?  Sometimes, they just start talking and we all contribute.  I now consider my Sunday mornings with these 30 =/- children a tremendous blessing and can't wait to see them again next week.  The Lord has definitely blessed me much.

So the rest of my day was spent feeding my guys.  No sooner did I get lunch made and it was time to make dinner.  So dinner was chilli and zucchini cornbread casserole.  Here's your recipe:

Zucchini Cornbread Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups shredded zucchini
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn muffin mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces low fat Cheddar cheese, shredded


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
In a large bowl mix together the zucchini, onion, eggs, muffin mix, salt and pepper. Stir in 4 ounces of the cheese. Spread this mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole dish; top with remaining 4 ounces of cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven for 60 minutes.
Makes 8 servings 231 calories 


It was very good and another excuse to use some of this zucchini that's taking over my kitchen.

Not much stitching today.  I worked on my BOM for a bit, then yo-yo's.  Yo-yo's are a great way to use up those bits and pieces of scraps.  They don't take a lot of time or space for storage and the end resulting project is always fun and colorful.  I spent a little time catching up on my book too.  I think it's due back at the library this week and I'm not even half way through.


So this evening I'm spending time on the computer, catching up on my blogs and family via Facebook.  I try really hard to keep Sunday a day of rest.  I try to prepare my meals on Saturday so they only have to be cooked, I catch up laundry on Saturday or it usually waits until Monday.  AND.... I try not to spend all my "rest" time on the computer.  But that's usually, today is an exception.  Great Nephew #8 is due in a couple of days, by cesarean.  I was hoping.  It's been a very long 9 months for "Mommie".  Bless her heart, she was really hoping for a girl, this will be her 5th boy.  She says she's done trying and is counting her blessings for a healthy bouncing baby boy.  No news yet.

(downloaded from Pinterest)

Remember, it's Sunday....




(downloaded from Pinterest)

get some rest....

(downloaded from Pinterest)

And, thanks for stopping by.



No comments: