The chores went undone again today .... well most of them anyway :) I did manage to get a load of clothes washed and dried. They belonged to Newton, so after dinner he had to put them away. He also had to clean his room and sweep the floor. Not his favorite past times. I compensated by taking him to the library for some computer time and new comic books. Comic books have sure changed since I was a kid, not that I ever spent any time reading them.
So what did I do with all my time. I worked on a baby quilt :)
Not my best photography, I'm definitely no expert, but it's flannel. There are three prints and three solids.
The prints are green camouflage, green/cream dinosaur camouflage and green/white/brown dots.
The solids are light tan, brown, dark green and a tonal butter yellow.
As you can see, I did a diagonal pattern. I cut the squares 6 x 6 inches and 1/4 in seams. I sandwiched cotton batting in the middle and backed it with the same dark green I used on the front. I tied the quilt at the intersections.
Isn't that dot adorable? I just have to decide if I want to tie the centers of each square now. It's officially the first quilt I will have finished (by the end of the week so I can give it on Saturday). I also need to put a binding on it before it's completely finished.
I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with BFF today. That's how we manage to get so much done, daily encouragement. She lives about 45 minutes south of me and neither of us is in the position at the moment to do a lot of driving to be able to spend any real sewing time together, so we do it long distance on the phone.
Anyway, while I was talking to her I realized I had enough square left to make another baby quilt and since Great #10 is due between Christmas and January 7, 2014, I'll need another quilt. So I laid out the second one and pinned the pieces together so all I have to do tomorrow is sew.
Well, I finished stacking all that fabric and realized !!!!! yet again, I have enough squares for another quilt. So I called Newton and asked him what he thought. He liked the idea, "of course, it needs to be bigger". Yes, I think I could have figured that out but appreciated the input. So I began laying out the third quilt. I managed to lay out an un-sew size of approximately 52 x 72 inches. It will be big enough to cover his twin bed.
AND.... there were still squares left over. So I arranged them to make a rather large pillow front. But I didn't tell him about that yet. So lots of sewing going on here this week.
Today ended up being a gorgeous day. We started out warm and humid, in the upper 70s. Now it's past dinner and there is the most pleasant breaze coming through my window and the temperatures have dropped into the lower 60s. We're expecting mid-50s over night. What a wonderful night for sleeping it will be. Autumn is in the air. My favorite season - I can't wait.
However ... Maybe.... the chores.... maybe..... they'll just have to wait a bit longer :)
Thanks for stopping by.....
Hope you are having a very creative day :)
Post a Comment