Monday, December 30, 2013

Learning new things

Got up to this this morning to this . . .


(First thing this morning)

I opened my curtains so that I could look out all day and watch the snow come down.  Honey Do said the forecast is for snow off and on until Wednesday.  Today is only Monday.  And it snowed . . .


(mid-afternoon)

And it snowed . . .



(this evening - around 5 p.m.)

I'm one of those people that if I don't have to go anywhere, I don't care if it snows and keeps snowing.  I planned with my guys being home for a couple of weeks enough groceries that I wouldn't have to go out.  I have more than enough projects and cleaning to keep me busy.  It looks like we got a good four inches :)


Dinner was in the crock pot - bean soup with leftover Christmas ham :)  Unfortunately, by dinner time the beans were still hard - even with soaking overnight.  So they will continue to cook and I dropped back and regrouped:  Spinach pie.  Yummy :)



I'm spending my morning making my first ever hexies :)  I purchased plastic templates a while back and never used them.



I've seen a couple of different blogs with tutorials.  This is the most recent one I've been referred to.  The Zen of Making has a three part tutorial that is really good.  Not only is she teaching how to make them, but is offering some suggestions to use them.  I'm going to attempt to make the little sewing kit and encourage BFF to learn to make them.  Her goal is to learn something new every year.  I think I'm going to give her a push in that direction :)  To keep me company, I'm watching a movie called 84 Charring Road.  It's an older, but really good movie. I've decided for future hexies, I'm going to use the 1/2 inch seam allowance instead of the 1/4 inch.  It gives you a little more to hold on to making it easier to baste them.


I was surprised how time consuming they are, but I have to say I really enjoyed them.  I can see why they become so addicting.  I thought they were hard on the hands, but it may have been the fabric.  The red dot was pretty stiff - seemed like a lot of sizing.  For my very first attempt, I'm very happy.



The postman brought me a new book, Pretty Little Potholders.  I've been wanting to make some of these from my stash of fabrics.  One more idea for Christmas gifts next year, or even the Love Gifts.
As you can see, I've already marked some pages for ideas.





Can you tell he really doesn't like having his picture taken?  He kept moving.  I finally found an angle that didn't bother him.  He was looking out the front window watching the snow fall :)


Thanks for stopping by,

Wishing you a creative day.

Love'n'hugs,

e










No comments: